SonicJPNews archive blog: Sonic creators' reactions to first trailer of Sonic the Movie

2019/05/03

Sonic creators' reactions to first trailer of Sonic the Movie

News from 2019.04.30 - 05.03
Archived on 2019.05.02

As rumored on the former day, Paramount dropped their first posters and a trailer for Sonic the Movie.

The official poster and the trailer

Woah it's finally there.
...and you know how the trailer looks like already, right?

In case you don't, and if you are 120% sure you are prepared to see anything on the screen, here is the video.

Not recommended for those who have very high and concrete ideal for Sonic's appearance and attitude.

*Please note that we do not take any responsibility or liability for any damage or loss caused through watching the following material.* ...







Oh, and here is the official tweet with poster image.

Not sure if you are going to feel better or worse by seeing this, but anyway:





Update 05.03.: The Japanese version of the trailer and poster were also released on the official Japanese Twitter account for the movie.


-- Update end --



Alright, here are the reactions of the people who created and worked/working with Sonic towards the news:

The shocked, the puzzled, the positive-thinker and the moodmaker...

Nakamura-san's reaction:
"How! / Why! / ..."
- Shun Nakamura

...He only tweeted one letter which doesn't make much sense alone, and it can be the head letter of many words - but from the context, he most likely said どうして! = Why! .

Just one syllable that pierces through the air... that might be his cry of dispair.

Ohtani-san's reaction:
"I don't know the lyrics, but why did they use Coolio's 'Gangsta's Paradise'?
(That's probably not what I should point out first)"
- Tomoya Ohtani

As a sound composer, Ohtani-san pays attention to the music they used. Yeah, I wonder why, too.
And he also knows that that is not the only thing that's wrong...

Update 05.03.: And later he also responded on the Japanese trailer, this time most likely addressing to the design:

-- Update end --


Yasuhara-san's reaction:
Looks like he at least found one good part about this movie!


Mr. Roger Craig Smith's reaction:


...What, who did you have in your mind?


Nope, he is not talking about Sonic!



Well played, Roger, well played.
Thanks for the laugh to shake off the monster I just saw in the trailer.


Others kindly ask not to get them involved in the discussion at all...

Mr. Mike Pollock's reaction:
A wise man speaks.



Kanemaru-san's reaction [Please do NOT retweet]
Kanemaru-san was one of the few people who are involved in creation and development of Sonic series and openly reacted to the leaked design of Movie Sonic about two month ago.

Today, he tweeted following texts and made sure everyone understands his policy on the matter as a voice actor.
"If I get the offer, I will commit to my job with everything I can give.
If the offer doesn't come, I won't have anything to do with it.

My policy as a voice actor is very simple as this.
So please don't get me involved into the discussion and trouble me about this.

Also please refrain from replying to or retweeting this tweet."
- Junichi Kanemaru


"I'm not trying to be mean by not responding. I'm simply not in the position to do so. Please understand!"
- Junichi Kanemaru


Yes, every person who are officially involved in Sonic the game series do have thier right to not talk about the movie at all. It's not their job, and they also don't want to cause trouble and confusion by getting involved in the topic.

So for the sake of our beloved artists' peaceful Twitter life, please leave them alone about this matter.
And DON'T use 'Retweet with comment' either, because it will send them notification!! Yes it does!


Update 05.02.: However, it looks like Kanemaru-san deep down was feeling his own passion and pride being hurt through the design - and eventually poured out his true emotion towards the incident.

In his now deleted tweet, he mentioned blue Chewbacca, which could be reference to the design of Movie Sonic.
I posted the translation of his tweet shortly after, but then I received a messegae from Kanemaru-san that it doesn't quite convey what he meant in his original tweet correctly. I apologized him and deleted the tweet. The original tweet was also deleted.

The next tweet of him is a continuation of his tweet above.

He says he is not dissing at all - but he is hiding a pun with reference to Yoda - so another Star Wars reference. A playful tease, I would say!

He also had another tweet in which he expressed his frustration more straightforward, but this one was also deleted later to avoid misunderstandings and misuse of it. You can still see the original words in my Twilog.

His honest feeling after being Sonic's buddy for 20 years was - 'Don't make a fool of him!'.

We know him as a calm, positive and insipiring person on Twitter, and to see him behing honest with his frustration is rather rare.

So they hurt the feeling of Sonic's soulmate. This is another reason I would not forgive what they have done to Sonic for the sake of the movie. Even if Kanemaru-san does, I would have a very hard time to do so...


And at last, Naka-san's reaction:

The father of Sonic was, like Kanemaru-san, already concerned about the movie as the leaked designs roamed the internet about two month ago; today, the new trailer didn't help him either. He expressed his mixed feeling about the movie in multiple tweets after watching the trailer and finding promotional materials on the official account of Sonic the Movie.

Here you go, a long thread of his original tweets and my translation tweets one after the other:

At first he seemed to be optimistic...



But then he couldn't help but write out that he is not comfortable with the design or the promotional tactic of Paramount.





He then praised Jim Carrey for his role as Dr. Eggman. He is at least looking forward to this factor of the movie...


He thought the CG part where Sonic is moving is fine...

But then he started to blame himself for making the VE department, which later became MARZA, the company co-creating CGI for this movie. And everyone consoled him that it's not his fault.
It's not Naka-san's fault, it's not MARZA's fault, it's not SEGA's fault.




Then he remembers something important: he once told the movie production (I suppose) that he would like to take part to the movie as an extra! But it didn't happen. That would have been such a cool Easter Egg.



And at last, he retweeted an article by GIGAZINE reporting that the number of dislikes exceeded that of likes for Sonic the Movie trailer:

...No wonder, I'd say.




...Oh no, wait, this wasn't the end.


Ohshima-san's reaction

Oh no. Ohshima-san, the other father of Sonic, found out about the trailer and is seriously struggling to accept what they have done to his beloved son. Poor Ohshima-san...

They made Ohshima-san, the designer of the original Sonic, worry about the quality. He says he loved all kinds of Sonic design until now and he wants to love this new re-design too - and he is having a hard time to do so.

How could they do that to him? Making the creator say no to their creation? Why did they have to do this...


This.

If we could at least see some appreciation towards Sonic and its franchise through the trailer, we probably could have thought that they are trying their very best. The problem is that we, or I at least, couldn't see anything of sort. They just borrowed some random features of the character and experimented with them in a very questionable way, without understanding anything about what fans like about Sonic's style. Wow. Good job ruining the perfect design.

And yet Ohshima-san tries to stay positive about the matter by drawing the Movie Sonic by himself. It makes me really sad and frustrated...



But here comes Mazin-san:

Masato Nishimura-san speaks with his positivity...
If the time comes... if it ever comes.

But what if this hapened to Alex Kidd instead of Sonic?

Alex Kidd is like a son to Mazin-san it seems!



Oh and look! A saviour!

Toei Animation appreciates Sonic CD OP/ED animation - such a relief in this rough time.
If we could have a movie in this style instead... or a complete 3DCG animation by MARZA... that's what I wanted to see.

.
.
.

Well, that's about it for the summary. This was painful.

What are your thoughts?




[Warning: below is just me rambling about the topic]




In the poster he looked okay-ish. He wasn't the Sonic I know, but he seemed fine as some sort of new hedgehog mutant character.
But what's the matter with the trailer???

Ahhh what the heck is wrong with him stretching like...I don't know, trying to make sexy poses and failing brilliantly? That scene already made me feel sick. Too cringy...

And what's with his human teeth??? That freaked me out like hell. And lips? And eyelids?? Oh, separated eyes?? Eyes with round iris and pupils? Those extremities that are thinner towards the end??? Those SMALL hands and feet? THE WHOLE BODY BALANCE?! And where are his gloves!

He is really just a human wearing blue furred body suit. I don't call that Sonic. Who are you? Should I call the police?

I actually found the CG effect of Sonic's path kind of cool - but why the heck does he have electricity running all over his body? Since when did he become another electric-type rat Pokémon? Why couldn't they keep it as his windy Blue Blur?

Also if they have to go with the electricity setting, how is the police officer holding Sonic's needle with buzzing lightning on with bare hand? Dr. Eggman later held it with his gloves on (which makes sense), and then got a shock as he licked it. Consistency please?

The list goes on...

I was exhausted after watching the trailer. My little hope that remained after being crushed by the leak images from two month ago was completely gone. It was worse than I expected - This incident drained my energy so much that I almost fell ill, and I even had nightmare about those eyes of Sonic from the scene he screams. I didn't know myself that I was damaged by it this far... it's like a poison slowly infiltrating my body...

But being all too negative about it doesn't bring any good either. It's already ruining my health, it can't go on like this. I should probably learn to be positive like Mazin-san and many of you who are finding possibilities in Sonic... especially in meme-fying it. lol   It actually eases my mind a little. Thanks for the better entertainment.

Well, I actually found Jim Carrey's acting fine too. At first I actually didn't notice that the man in black suits first appearing as some high-rank officer was the supposed to be Dr. Eggman (but that's just me being not very familiar with his face I guess), and thought 'He isn't fat and round?!' as I realized it later - but I didn't care too much about it afterwards.
I'm looking forward to seeing his acting as Dr. Eggman, if I ever gather up enough energy to go watch the movie itself.


I wonder what comes next... I really hope this is a huge prank project and Paramount is tricking us with multi-layered fake leaks and trailers...... and they are actually making some decent stuff behind the curtain. That would be a dream...

Well I won't forgive them for causing nightmares for a while... and probably ever.

Oh and before you leave... ↓↓↓
-----------------------------
🍵Please support me through Ko-fi! Or a cup of tea! I think I really need some tea therapy right now.

-----------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts on this post!